The 146th Open Championship takes place this week at Royal Birkdale.
Ahead of Thursday's opening round in golf's oldest major, we take a look at the best facts relating to the event with help from our friends at Opta.
- Royal Birkdale is hosting The Open for the 10th time, the fourth-highest tally for an English course after Royal St George's (14), Hoylake (12) and Royal Lytham & St Annes (11).
- Nick Faldo was the last English player to win The Open, that victory coming 25 years ago at Muirfield. The last English player to lift the Claret Jug on English soil was Tony Jacklin, 48 years ago at Lytham.
- Padraig Harrington was the last player to win The Open at Birkdale, triumphing by four shots in 2008. Harrington is also the last golfer to win back-to-back Opens, having also claimed the Claret Jug in 2007. However, since his 2008 triumph at Birkdale, the Irishman has not finished higher than 20th in the tournament.
- Neither of the last two Opens at Birkdale have been won with an under-par score. Mark O'Meara won with an even-par aggregate in 1998, prior to Harrington's three-over total proving enough nine years ago. There has only been one other Open in the last 30 years (the 1999 Championship at Carnoustie) where no player broke par for the tournament.
- Harry Vardon holds the record for most wins at The Open (6), ahead of James Braid, John Henry Taylor, Peter Thomson and Tom Watson (all 5).
- Rory McIlroy - the 2014 Open champion - has four major victories. Among current active golfers, only Tiger Woods (14), Phil Mickelson (5) and Ernie Els (4) can boast as many or more major wins.
- In June, Brooks Koepka became the seventh consecutive first-time major winner, a run that began in August 2015 with Jason Day's US PGA Championship triumph at Whistling Straits.
- Jordan Spieth has finished outside the top 10 in each of his last five majors, that run coming after five consecutive majors in which he had never finished worse than tied fourth.
- Day's missed cut at last month's U.S. Open saw him fail to make the weekend in a major for the first time since the 2012 US PGA. However, the Australian has only one top-20 finish in six Open appearances.
- In his last three majors, world number one Dustin Johnson has missed two cuts and failed to tee it up because of injury at the Masters. He had racked up seven top-10s in his previous nine majors.
- Adam Scott has made the top 10 in four of the last five Opens (2nd in 2012, T-3rd in 2013, T-5th in 2014, T-10th in 2015).
25 de abril 2018
|Mayfield´s Big 12 dominance & Jackson the dual threat - The 2018 Quarterback class in Opta numbers|
|Campbell tips Vieira and Bergkamp to replace Wenger|
|Courtois to sue former Belgium coach Wilmots|
|Heavyweights Ronaldo and Lewandowski go head to head – Champions League in Opta numbers|
|Spurs, Heat eliminated as Celtics go up 3-2|
|Angels overcome Ohtani´s so-so outing to win series over Astros|
|Red Bull want Ricciardo decision by August|
|Rangers injuries piling up as Beltre leaves with hamstring issue|
|A´s closer Treinen exits after being hit by comebacker|
|Copa Libertadores Review: Gabriel leads Santos, Atletico cruise|
|He decides the biggest moments – Wijnaldum hails Salah|
|Finau ready to compete after freak ankle injury at Masters|
|Roma have some hope, says Monchi|
|Westbrook fined $10,000 for altercation with Gobert|
|Messi? Ronaldo? Salah is world´s best player – Gerrard|
|Liverpool are not Barcelona – Klopp cautious of Roma comeback|
|Liverpool supporter in ´critical condition´ after fan clashes|
|Gronkowski commits to 2018 season with Patriots|
|F1 Raceweek: Title race to heat up at venue of Vettel-Hamilton flashpoint|
|It´s all-inclusive football with Liverpool! - Klopp pleased despite Roma recovery|
|Montella to remain Sevilla coach until end of season|
|Di Francesco: Roma gave up – but if you don´t believe in a comeback, stay at home|
|Klopp accepts Salah substitution sparked Roma fightback|
|Oxlade-Chamberlain may miss World Cup after suffering ´a really bad injury´|
24 de abril 2018
|De Rossi blames long balls for Roma ´blackout´ at Anfield|
|Trump happy to fly under the radar at World Championship|
|Late Liverpool lapses sour stunning Salah show|
|Henderson wary of Barcelona repeat as Roma leave Liverpool with hope|
|Championship Review: Cardiff slip up as Barnsley stay in the relegation zone|
|Goffin lives dangerously in Barcelona|
|Liverpool 5 Roma 2: Salah shines but late comeback offers Giallorossi hope|
|Salah sets Liverpool record with spectacular first-half double|
|Six first-round quarterbacks & two top-10 trades - 2018 NFL Mock Draft|
|Oxlade-Chamberlain carried off in Champions League semi-final|
|Indians equal lowest total in defeat to Sunrisers|
|Selby final frustration contributed to ´beginning of the end´ comment - Higgins|
|Wozniacki makes winning start as Radwanska retires|
|Firmino back, as Milner starts for Liverpool against Roma|
|I didn´t want James to go - Zidane ready for Champions League reunion with familiar face|
|Kroos: You can´t buy the Champions League|
|Strauss open to Springboks return|
|Shurmur ends Beckham Jr trade speculation|
|Leeds urged to help Rohingya during ´odd´ Myanmar tour|
|Garcia dumps fit-again Sharapova out in Stuttgart|
|Buffon slams reports of breakdown in Benatia relationship|
|Former France coach Michel dies aged 70|
|Ancelotti talks not about Italy job, says Costacurta|
|Hartley: Concussion will not end my career|
|Stanlake´s IPL stint cut short by fractured finger|
|It was a weird few days - FA Cup final ref Oliver reflects on Buffon incident|
|Boateng not intimidated by supreme athlete Ronaldo|
|McNabb magnificent, Smith a Bengals bust - The last time QBs were drafted 1-2-3|
|Wolff loving battle with Ferrari and Red Bull|
|Heynckes: James was depressed after Real Madrid exit|
|Worry about Ronaldo? Real Madrid should fear Lewandowski, says Heynckes|
|Supporter tensions have affected Wenger - Rice|
|Springboks legend Habana to retire|
|Leinster stalwarts Nacewa and Strauss to retire|
|Germany submits Euro 2024 bid dossier|
|Bulls prop Schoeman given six-week ban for biting|
|Amir to arrive in England after visa delay|
|If Lewandowski wants to go, Bayern will have to let him – Effenberg|
|Leinster and Racing players shortlisted for European award|
|´Goal machine´ Ronaldo more complete than Messi – Kimmich|
|Bayern Munich v Real Madrid: Is this the end of the ´BBC´?|
|Blues chief backs under-fire Umaga|
|Manly fine quartet for Gladstone curfew breach|
|Zidane taking entire Madrid squad to Munich|
|Buffon reaction to Real Madrid penalty ´understandable´ – UEFA president|
|Liverpool owner was ´bitching´ about overpaying for Salah – Roma president|